Eine Kleine Nichtmusik

Witty and pertinent observations on matters of great significance OR Incoherent jottings on total irrelevancies OR Something else altogether OR All of the above

Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Life and other marvels

The start of my college teaching career draws ever nearer, and every day seems to bring a new amendment to my proposed timetable. No longer do I have the course on Professional Issues in Computing (which I must confess I was struggling to find interesting angles on) or the one on digital image processing, but I have a course on Teamworking in IT Projects and am now doing several courses for multiple classes. All my new colleagues are being really nice and helpful, so I think I know what I'm supposed to be doing. By this time next week, I will know for sure.....

In other news, our whole family just went to see Les Miserables at the cinema. I was relieved that it not only lived up to the hype but surpassed it. Even Russell Crowe turned out to be able to sing. OK, he only has one expression, but that's enough for Javer, who isn't exactly Mr Heart-On-Sleeve. Hugh Jackman is wonderful as Valjean, managing to hit his high notes while carrying Anne Hathaway up a flight of steps (the songs were famously recorded live on set rather than in a separate session). Anne Hathaway's own singing is a revelation (and it will be no surprise if she picks up the Supporting Actress Oscar either) while Samantha Barks as Eponine simply steals the show. The big set pieces work better on film than on stage, simply because they have more space. What else? Oh, just go and see the thing.

3 Comments:

At 16 January, 2013 14:06, Blogger Persephone said...

Saw it on Boxing Day - two and a half hours of my life I'll never get back.

Well-performed, well-filmed, but you really have to like the musical to begin with. I like a lot of musicals, but not this one. this fellow pretty much summed up how I felt in the cinema. (Sorry.)

 
At 16 January, 2013 20:10, Blogger JoeinVegas said...

Too sad a tale for me, all the good guys die (well, except for the marrying couple). Glad we didn't sit close, those face shots really filled the screen.

 
At 17 January, 2013 20:07, Blogger Rob said...

Persephone - no reason why you should like it really (I came to it via a CD of highlights and the only number I liked on first hearing, shorn of the stage action, was "At The End Of The Day"). David Denby's review is wrong-headed in so many ways (unlike that of his colleague Anthony Lane, which was simply a bad review, and quite a witty one at that) that I may have to write a response.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home